Today marks the official launch of The Queen’s Green Canopy – the QGC – a unique tree planting campaign created to mark Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee in 2022.
The campaign invites everyone from all corners of the United Kingdom to “Plant a Tree for the Jubilee” in honour of The Queen’s 70 years of service to this nation. Everyone from individuals to Scout and Girlguiding groups, villages, cities, counties, schools and corporates will be encouraged to plant trees from October 2021 when the tree planting season begins, through to the end of the Jubilee year in 2022.
As well as planting new trees, The Queen’s Green Canopy will dedicate a network of 70 Ancient Woodlands across the United Kingdom and identify 70 Ancient Trees to celebrate Her Majesty’s 70 years of service.
The countdown to planting season begins today, giving people time throughout the summer to plan their planting projects and get planting in October.
This UK-wide initiative provides an opportunity for organisations and individuals to take positive action on climate change and habitat creation, while also supporting the aims of the Central Scotland Green Network. Tree-planting as part of the QGC can take the form of:
- INDIVIDUALS planting trees on their private land.
- CORPORATES and businesses planting trees on their land and creating tree planting projects with employees.
- PLATINUM JUBILEE COMMUNITY PLANTING - projects for youth groups, Parishes, Residents’ Associations etc.
- A PLATINUM JUBILEE AVENUE of medium-sized or large trees ideal for cities, large estates, new housing developments and parishes.
- A PLATINUM JUBILEE COPSE on private land or land allocated by the County or Council.
- A PLATINUM SCHOOL TREE – all schools are encouraged to actively engage with the QGC. Schools may apply for free saplings through the Woodland Trust on the QGC website from July. These are available on a first come-first served basis. In addition to this, the QGC will make contact with as many state schools in the UK as possible to arrange free trees through our partner organisations. The number of free trees available will depend on donations received. There is also an education hub on the website which provides materials for schools.
For more information, visit www.queensgreencanopy.org